Sunday, April 24, 2011

How to Get A(head) (get it?)

Okay so if you didn't get my really awful pun, I'm talking about headpieces here people. The crowning glory to any bellydancer's get-up. The cream of your crop. The....nope I got nothing else. Most of these awesome pieces are recycled by the belly dancers themselves. What I mean by that is this: they find really amazing stuff at craft fairs, estate sales, other belly dancer's old pieces, etc. Then they refurbish them into something spectacular. Now if you're lazy like me, or you don't have time to go boppin' around estate sales (or money), I happen to know of a few options, depending on your material/base preference for the headpiece.
I happen to be a fan of Rajistani silver, which you can often find on ebay at relatively low prices. They have some great pieces if you know where to look. Another option, which is quite popular among tribal belly dancers, is using found objects, such as horse bits (as seen on Sherri), and earrings and feathers to attach to the sides. If you have some great pieces of fabric and beading, that can also make a great cabaret style headband. In my experience, sewing or attaching pieces of elastic can provide a more stable way to keep the headpiece in place while having something to attach more stuff to! But seriously guys, you can use almost anything up there, so have fun with it! Bigger is usually better (and cooler).

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:
Tribal jewelry on Ebay
Sherri!
The fabulous Zoe Jakes even used: antlers

Happy Dancing <3

No comments:

Post a Comment